Good morning to all. The sports days keep getting better and better and I am very much looking forward to the west coast tilt today between Clayton Kershaw and Madison Bumgarner. Kershaw seems to be at nearly full strength and Bumgarner’s Giants need wins. This should be a doozy. On the DFS side of things, there are 10 games on the slate today, including a Coors game. There is some good value to be had today.
As always, all stats are courtesy of Rotowire, Rotogrinders, Fangraphs, Baseball-Reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Ryan Flaherty vs. Rick Porcello – 6/14 with a homer and a walk
- Kike Hernandez vs. Madison Bumgarner – 6/9 with 2 doubles and 2 homers
- Nelson Cruz vs. Marco Estrada – 5/8 with a homer, a double and a walk
- Whit Merrifield vs. Carlos Rodon – 4/7 with 2 doubles
Stacks to Target:
- Cardinals at Rockies – Get your Coors Field fun here!
- Nationals vs. Wei-Yin Chen – The Nats are a good hitting team versus southpaws ranking 5th with a .785 OPS. Chen is making his first start since coming off the disabled list, but he is struggling this year with a 4.99 ERA. A lot of this has to do with his career high hard contact allowed which sits at 35.4%. I think that Chen will be rusty and the Nationals should take advantage.
- Mets vs. Aaron Blair – Blair is one of the worst pitchers in MLB this year with an 8.23 ERA over a decent sample size of 54.2 innings. His K/9 is uninspiring at 5.27 and his BB/9 is far too high at 4.77. In his last start against the Mets he allowed 7 hits, 3 walks and 8 runs over 4.1 innings which got him banished to the minors. He has made one start since his return from the minors, against the struggling Giants’ offense, and allowed 8 hits including 3 homers and 5 runs over 4 innings. The Mets have a lot to play for and should do some serious damage tonight.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Clayton Kershaw vs. Giants – The only question here is whether he is on a strict pitch count restriction, but in his last start, Kershaw threw 64 pitches and supplemented that with 16 in a simulated bullpen to get his arm strength up. He should be good for 90 pitches tonight, and that should be good enough against the Giants who hit .162/.196/.213 against him. The most dangerous hitter for Kershaw in the Giants’ lineup might be Bumgarner who has 2 homers against the Dodgers’ ace. Kershaw is a safe play tonight.
- AJ Cole vs. Marlins – Cole has a relatively cheap price tag tonight at $6,000 on FanDuel and $7,400 on DraftKings. He faces a struggling offense as the Marlins rank 28th in OPS in September and 27th in slugging. Cole’s ERA is nothing to write home about sitting at 4.71, but his K-Rate is an impressive 25.4% and his hard contact allowed is a minuscule 22.5%. Cole is pitching better than his surface numbers and I think he will dominate Miami today.
Weather to Target or Avoid
- Red Sox at Orioles – chance of rain
- Braves at Mets – chance of rain
Platoon Split Hitters
- Jayson Werth vs. Wei-Yin Chen – Werth clobbers lefties with a .437 wOBA and 176 wRC+.
- Stephen Piscotty vs. Tyler Anderson – Piscotty will enjoy Coors against southpaw Anderson as he has a .424 wOBA and 169 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Greenbrier Classic - July 5, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Quicken Loans National - June 28, 2017