Hey all! It is another ace day today as Clayton Kershaw, Jose Fernandez, Madison Bumgarner and Rick Porcello are all throwing. This is a day to find good value bats, so be sure to skim to the bottom of this write-up to find some good platoon split players as well as looking at the top of the article for some solid batter versus pitcher match-ups. Let’s see what else we came up with.
As always, all stats are courtesy of rotowire, rotogrinders, fangraphs, baseball-reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Miguel Cabrera vs. Tyler Duffey – 5/10 with a homer, 2 doubles and a walk
- David Ortiz vs. Kevin Gausman – 8/18 with 2 homers, 3 doubles and 2 walks
- Ryan Flaherty vs. Rick Porcello – 6/11 with a homer and a walk
- Logan Forsythe vs. Marco Estrada – 7/14 with a double and a homer
Stacks to Target:
- Rockies vs. Rubby de la Rosa – De La Rosa really struggles against left-handed bats with a .367 wOBA since 2015, and one thing that the Rockies have is power hitting lefty bats. Even accounting for the Coors Field factor, the wOBA of the Rockies lefties against right-handed pitching is impressive with Carlos Gonzalez at .392, Charlie Blackmon at .400 and David Dahl at .376. Throw in Nolan Arenado who hits everyone (.406 wOBA against RHB) and you have the makings of a beautiful stack.
- Astros vs. Derek Holland – Holland has not been great against his cross-state rivals in his career, allowing the Astros hitters a collective .314/.368/.592 line. The Astros are another great platoon split team as they smoke lefties. Looking at the Astros’ wOBA and ISO against lefties you find an impressive collection with Jose Altuve .412/.211, Evan Gattis .374/.242, George Springer .386/.254 and Alex Bregman .355/.227. Add in Carlos Correa who has had great success against Holland going 6/11 with 2 homers, a double and a walk and you have a great stack.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Madison Bumgarner vs. Padres – Bumgarner has struggled with his run prevention recently, so I think that his ownership will be very low, considering he is the highest priced pitcher on DraftKings. I will take full advantage and play Bumgarner as bad luck has fueled his poor results. In his last 5 games, Bumgarner has allowed 3+ runs in 4 of them, but his BABIP has been over .350 in 3 of the 5 games and his strand rate has been below 71.5% in all 5 of them. Bumgarner continues to strike out batters and he has fanned 29 Padres in 21.2 innings this year. I like him to continue mowing down the Padres with their 25.4% K-Rate against southpaws.
- Mets vs. Tanner Roark – Roark has been outstanding in the second half of the year with a 2.58 ERA and has been dynamite at home all season with a 2.63 ERA. He has really enjoyed facing these Mets in his career as they hit him to the tune of .196/.287/.275. The Mets have been no better this year against Roark, scoring only 3 runs in 14.1 innings. With all the aces on the mound, Roark will go overlooked, but I like him for a nice game.
Weather to Target or Avoid
- None! Play Ball!
Platoon Split Hitters
- Cameron Rupp vs. Steven Brault – Rupp hits lefties well with a .414 wOBA and 162 wRC+.
- Brandon Guyer vs. Carlos Rodon – Guyer is one of my favorite platoon split players with a .435 wOBA and 178 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.