Good morning folks! Perhaps I should not admit this, but this is one of the least inspiring MLB slates that I have seen all year. There are no aces on the mound, there is a lot of rain in the forecast, and there are not many stacks that I absolutely love. That having been said, after I get home from my own baseball game tonight, I will be watching baseball (along with football) and I will have a couple of daily fantasy lineups to root for. Here is who I like tonight.
As always, all stats are courtesy of rotowire, rotogrinders, fangraphs, baseball-reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Logan Forsythe vs. CC Sabathia – 8/19 with 4 doubles, 2 homers and a walk
- Evan Longoria vs. CC Sabathia – 28/70 with 9 doubles, 7 homers and 13 walks
- Josh Harrison vs. Dan Straily – 3/10 with 2 homers
- Adam Lind vs. Derek Holland – 6/15 with a homer and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Rays vs. CC Sabathia – The Rays used to be my favorite play against left-handed pitching, but after a scorching first couple of months they have gone very cold. That having been said, these guys love facing Sabathia having a collective .339/.431/.671 line against the Yankees’ erstwhile ace. After a resurgent 1st half Sabathia has struggled in the 2nd half, having a 4.82 ERA since the break. He has also been terrible at home with a 5.20 ERA at the new Yankee Stadium. The Rays could break out of their doldrums in a big way.
- Nationals vs. Alec Asher – Asher’s first taste of the big leagues last year was not so pretty as he had an unsightly 9.31 ERA in 29 innings pitched. He was not fooling anyone in 2015 with a 4.97 K/9 and walked nearly as many as he struck out with a 3.10 BB/9. The Nationals are a tough match-up for Asher’s return to the majors as they rank a solid 5th in runs scored since the All-Star Break. The Nats bats will likely be highly owned, but I would not fade them.
Pitchers of the Day:
- AJ Cole vs. Phillies – Cole has been solid, if not spectacular, thus far in the majors. He has a rock solid soft contact rate of 29.4% and has suppressed hard contact to the tune of 21.6%. His K-Rate also sits at a respectable 22.4%. With today’s poor pitching slate, I love a league average pitcher against the Phillies and their 2.96 team wOBA against righties. Cole is also a heavy favorite for the win, which is always important for DFS, especially on FanDuel. He is a great play today.
- Jaime Garcia vs. Brewers – Garcia was in a bit of a slump going into his last start, but he was solid last game striking out over a batter an inning and limiting the opposition to two-runs in 6 innings. I love his match-up today as Garcia has been lights out against the Brewers this year, especially at home. In 2 starts at Busch Stadium against the Brew Crew, Garcia has thrown 17 innings limiting the Brewers to five hits and one run while walking five and striking out 19. With so few good pitching options, he is a strong play today.
Weather to Target or Avoid:
- Brewers at Cardinals – chance of rain
- Astros at Indians – chance of rain
- Reds at Pirates – chance of rain
Platoon Split Hitters:
- DJ LeMahieu vs. Clayton Richard – LeMahieu loves facing southpaws with a .406 wOBA and a 137 wRC+.
- Franklin Gutierrez vs. Derek Holland – Gutierrez remains one of the best platoon players out there with a .392 wOBA and 151 wRC+ against lefties.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.