Sometimes real life gets in the way. It is a tremendously busy day for me today, so I am going to make my quick hits even quicker. There is some good value on today’s slate and a good risk/reward play on the afternoon slate. Let’s see how we do.
As always, all stats are courtesy of rotowire, rotogrinders, fangraphs, baseball-reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Chris Davis vs. Aaron Sanchez – 6/14 with 3 homers a double and 5 walks
- Edwin Encarnacion vs. Yovani Gallardo – 8/20 with 3 homers a double and 5 walks
- Victor Martinez vs. Chris Sale – 18/38 with 4 homers 3 doubles and 4 walks
- Brandon Moss vs. Matt Garza – 7/15 with a homer a double and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Dodgers at Rockies – Coors Field is in play!
- Nationals vs. Adam Morgan – Morgan is dreadful against right-handed batters with a .382 wOBA allowed and the Nationals destroy lefties with a .335 wOBA and a .200 ISO. The Nationals also really enjoy facing this pitcher as they have scored 9 runs against him in 12.2 innings pitched. I like Werth, Bryce and the boys for a nice game.
- Astros vs. Ross Detwiler – The Astros struggle against strikeout pitchers, but should have no problems with Detwiler today. Detwiler has allowed an absurd .443 wOBA to right-handed batters over 2015-2016 and the Astros boast some of the best righties in the game, with Springer, Altuve and Correa. I love the Astros and their .326 wOBA and .187 ISO versus lefties for a huge performance.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Drew Smyly vs. Red Sox – Sometimes, a pitcher loves to face a certain team and sometimes a team loves to face a certain pitcher. You can throw all the metrics away in such situations. In his last 4 stars against Boston, Smyly has allowed a grand total of 1 run while throwing 26.1 innings allowing 12 hits walking 7 and striking out 35. It may be voodoo magic, but until the Sox can figure Smyly out, he will be in my lineups when he throws against Boston.
- Gio Gonzalez vs. Phillies – Gonzalez has been on fire in the 2nd half allowing only a .276 wOBA to opposing hitters. The Phillies are a good match-up for him as they struggle against lefties with a .286 team wOBA and a 22.7% K-Rate. This season’s results support this play as Gio has allowed only 2 ER in 13.1 innings against the Phils while striking out 13. Play him with confidence.
Weather to Target or Avoid:
- Mariners at Rangers – Chance of rain
- Twins at Indians – Chance of rain
Platoon Split Hitters:
- George Springer vs. Detwiler – Many people think of Altuve as the Houston righty to play against lefties, but Springer is plenty good with a .421 wOBA and 171 wRC+.
- Franklin Gutierrez vs. Martin Perez – Gutierrez’s numbers are comically bad against righties (.193 wOBA 16 wRC+) but he is much better against lefties with a .377 wOBA and 143 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.