Last night I decided to have some fun and have my 6-year-old pick a lineup for me in the DraftKings Quarter Arcade. I gave her my phone and told her to pick whichever players she liked. I was thinking that I would get a random lineup, but my 6 year-old is now old enough to know that: a) she is from Boston (though we live in Montreal); and b) that we are a Red Sox family. Thus, I got a Red Sox stack out of my random lineup. It didn’t do great. As for tonight, we have a full night slate led by a Coors Field match-up along with a nice pitching match-up between a resurgent Justin Verlander and Noah Syndergaard. Should be fun. Let’s see how we do.
As always, all stats are courtesy of rotowire, rotogrinders, fangraphs, baseball-reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Ian Desmond vs. Dallas Keuchel – 6/12 with 2 homers, a double and a walk
- Daniel Murphy vs. Jeff Samardzija – 6/12 with 2 doubles and a homer
- Freddie Freeman vs. Jaime Garcia – 4/10 with 2 homers and a walk
- Dustin Pedroia vs. Scott Kazmir – 22/43 with 7 doubles, 2 homers and 10 walks
Stacks to Target:
- Marlins at Rockies – Coors Field alert! Don’t shy away from this one.
- Mariners vs. Tim Lincecum – As a Sox fan I watched Lincecum pitched his last outing, and while he escaped major damage, boy he did not look good. On the season, the erstwhile Cy Young award winner has a 5.40 BB/9 and a 42.1% hard contact allowed. This has led to his astronomical 8.49 ERA, but has also led to a SIERA and xFIP over 5. The Mariners are great against right-handed pitching with a .770 OPS ranking 7th in MLB. Start them with confidence.
- Cubs vs. Dillon Overton – Overton has struggled thus far in his Major League career with a 9.33 ERA, 6.72 xFIP, 6.06 SIERA and 38.2% hard contact allowed. The Cubs are not the team he wants to face at the moment as they are tied for 3rd in OPS versus lefties at .801. I like Bryant, Zobrist and the boys to destroy Overton.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Giants at Nationals – chance of rain
- Blue Jays at Royals – chance of rain
- Marlins at Rockies – chance of rain
Pitchers of the Day:
- Jaime Garcia vs. Braves – The Braves struggle against lefties with a .286 wOBA. And while Garcia hasn’t been his usual solid self this season, he does have a 3.53 xFIP and 3.68 ERA at home (his ERA is 5+ on the road). With this solid match-up and reasonable salary, I love Garcia today – especially on FanDuel which greatly rewards the win.
- Felix Hernandez vs. Angels – Hernandez hasn’t looked great since coming off the DL, but had his highest game score in his last outing against the Cubs. Additionally, in his last start at home versus the Angels, Hernandez struck out 9 over 7.1 innings allowing only 3 runs. He only costs $8,400 on DraftKings ($9,600 on FanDuel) and should get the win against Lincecum. I like this match-up today.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Ryan Rua vs. Dallas Keuchel – Rua is a professional right-handed platoon hitter. He has a .374 wOBA and 130 wRC+ against southpaws this year.
- Lorenzo Cain vs. Francisco Liriano – Cain remains among the best hitters in the majors against lefties with a .434 wOBA and 176 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017