Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for April 17.
It’s a busy Sunday for your friendly neighborhood DFS guy, so I won’t be able to watch baseball this afternoon. And when I don’t watch baseball, I don’t play DFS. I use this as a reminder to keep daily fantasy fun – it is a really hard way to make money. The few who make a lot of money playing most probably aren’t reading this column. So to those who are reading – remember to use DFS (and season long fantasy) as a fun way to stay engaged with the game. This isn’t a great way to get rich quick.
Here are your quick hit thoughts for today:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Chase Utley vs. Jeff Samardzija – 6/15 with 5 extra base hits including a homer
- Darrin Ruf vs. Gio Gonzalez – 8/23 with 5 extra base hits including 3 homers and 8 walks
- Jayson Werth vs. Charlie Morton – 4/12 with 2 homers and 2 walks
- Joey Votto vs. Michael Wacha – 8/19 with 4 extra base hits including a homer
Stacks to Target:
- Texas vs. Michael Wright– Beware because there is a strong possibility of rain in this game. But if they play it, Wright has allowed left-handed batters to hit .313/.393/.541 over his career and has allowed a .301/.409/.516 line on the road in his career. Prince Fielder, Mitch Moreland, Rougned Odor and others are great plays.
- Pirates vs. Zach Davies – Davies struggled mightily against Pittsburgh last season, allowing 10 ER over 2 starts. I expect more of the same today.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Orioles at Rangers – Strong chance of rain. May be rained out.
Sneaky Pitchers of the Day:
- Michael Wacha vs. Reds – For some reason Wacha is very low priced today. He is 5-1 with a 1.87 ERA in a 10 game sample size against Cincinnati in his career.
- Steven Matz vs. Indians – Matz has allowed more than 3 runs in only one start over his career – and that was his last start which was a disaster. He will likely be low owned because of recency bias, but I expect a nice bounce back. Also of note, the Indians are 26th in OPS against LHP this year with a meager .586 number.
I like a lot of the cheaply priced pitchers today. Jarred Cosart vs. the Braves, Juan Nicasio vs. the Brewers and Nick Tropeano vs. the Twins are also nice options.
Sneaky Platoon Split Hitters:
- Nick Markakis vs. Jarred Cosart – Markakis has been killing right-handed pitching early on in 2016. He has a great .495 wOBA and 209 wRC+ thus far. Laissez les bons temps rouler.
- John Jaso vs. Zach Davies – Jaso has exactly 0 plate appearances against lefties this year, but he has been doing great against righties with a .380 wOBA. He’ll hit at the top of the Pirates lineup and is a nice option.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Need more DFS picks, waiver wire suggestions, prospect news and general fantasy baseball advice, head on over to Fantasy Rundown.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017