Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top Draft Kings plays for September 21st.
Today we have 11 games on the MLB schedule kicking off at 7:05 p.m. As always, make sure to check your lineup prior to game time for any last-minute scratches, and be sure to check the weather forecast for any potential cancellations.
Hopefully you have been following along all season and it has been a profitable, and more importantly fun season. It is getting close to crunch time, so let’s see if we can keep the train rolling. Today, there are not too many great pitching match-ups, so I am only giving you 3 picks. Let’s see how we do:
Studs: Dallas Keuchel, Houston Astros ($11,400)
- I recommended Keuchel last time and he was an abomination. But this guy is so good and has had great success against the Angels this year going 2-1 with a 1.93 ERA and 10.1 K/9. The Angels are also the 2nd worst team in the American League against lefties on the year with a .663 OPS.
Bang for Your Buck: Jason Hammel, Chicago Cubs ($7,800)
- A nice price for Hammel against the sad-sack Brewers. In 4 starts this season, Hammel is 2-0 with a 2.59 ERA with 7.8 K/9 against the Brewers.
Hail Mary: Jonathan Niese, New York Mets ($5,800)
- I don’t understand this price. The Braves are absolutely brutal offensively and Niese has pitched well against them. He’s 1-0 with a 2.04 ERA in 3 starts versus the Braves this year.
Studs: Kyle Schwarber, Chicago Cubs ($4,600)
.430 wOBA and 175 wRC+ against right-handed hurlers on the season and faces off against Wily Peralta who allows a .301/.348/.533 line to lefties.
Bang for your buck: Geovany Soto, Chicago White Sox ($2,600)
.359 wOBA and 128 wRC+ versus lefties and faces Randy Wolf who has allowed a .353/.409/.553 line to righties.
Hail Mary: Matt Wieters, Baltimore Orioles ($2,500)
10/17 with a homer and 2 walks in his career against Gio Gonzalez.
Studs: Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs ($5,000)
As mentioned, Peralta struggles against all lefties. Rizzo in particular owns him, going 12/26 with 5 homers and 3 BB.
Bang for your buck: Justin Morneau, Colorado Rockies ($3,500)
Nice price for Morneau who has a .358/.393/.585 slash line at Coors Field.
Hail Mary: Lucas Duda, New York Mets ($3,300)
4/10 with a homer and a walk in his career against Shelby Miller.
Studs: Jose Altuve, Houston Astros ($4,900)
Altuve is 8/26 in his career against Jered Weaver.
Bang for your buck: Logan Forsythe, Tampa Bay Rays ($3,900)
One of my favorite platoon plays, as you all know by now. .410 wOBA and 168 wRC+ versus lefties and faces off against Eduardo Rodriguez.
Hail Mary: Chris Coglan, Chicago Cubs ($3,500)
I love a Cubs lefty stack today against Peralta. Coglan has a .362 wOBA and 129 wRC+ versus righties on the season.
Studs: Yunel Escobar, Washington Nationals ($4,000)
8/21 with a homer and 4 walks in his career against Ubaldo Jimenez.
Bang for your buck: Starlin Castro, Chicago Cubs ($3,400)
Castro has raked since being moved to 2nd base. 12/27 in his career with 5 extra-base hits including 2 homers against Peralta.
Hail Mary: Andrelton Simmons, Altanta Braves ($2,700)
Sees the ball well against Niese with a 10/26 line and 3 BB in his career versus the Mets’ lefty.
Studs: Pedro Alvarez, Pittsburgh Pirates ($4,100)
Pretty good price for a power hitter at Coors. .376 wOBA and 143 wRC+ in September.
Bank for your buck: Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay Rays ($3,800)
I love my Rays against lefties. .397 wOBA and 159 wRC+ against southpaws on the season.
Hail Mary: David Freese, Los Angeles Angels ($3,100)
9/19 with a homer and 2 walks in his career against Keuchel.
Studs: Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates ($5,700), AJ Pollock, Arizona Diamondbacks ($4,800), Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers ($4,700)
- I just want McCutchen in my lineup at Coors. .385 wOBA in the 2nd half of the year.
- Pollock has an impressive .333/.380/.508 slash line versus lefties and gets to hit against Brett Anderson.
- 8/23 in his career with 2 homers against Hammel in his career.
Bang for your buck: Dexter Fowler, Chicago Cubs ($4,200), Trayce Thompson, Chicago White Sox ($3,500), Avisail Garcia, Chicago White Sox ($3,300)
- Part of a Cubs lefty stack. .283/.404/.507 in the 2nd half of the season.
- Thompson has a .484 wOBA and 214 wRC+ versus lefties. Should feast on Randy Wolf
- Avisail Garcia is also a nice hitter versus lefties with a .294 batting average.
Hail Mary: Mikie Mahtook, Tampa Bay Rays ($3,300), Steve Pearce, Baltimore Orioles ($3,000), Andre Ethier, Los Angeles Dodgers ($2,900)
- How can you pick against a guy named Mikie? .403 wOBA and 163 wRC+ versus southpaws.
- Pearce is 4/12 with a homer and a walk in his career against Gio Gonzalez.
- Ethier is 13/31 with 4 extra-base hits and an amazing 11 walks against Arizona starter Jhoulys Chacin.
For my complete lineup, follow me on twitter @nschnurbach
Need more DFS picks, Waiver wire suggestions, prospect news and general fantasy baseball goodness, head on over to Fantasy Rundown.