Good morning everyone and happy Sunday! It’s hard to believe that it is already Labor Day weekend and the MLB and DFS seasons are winding down. Let’s take advantage of what should be a fun final month to the season and continue to build our bankrolls. And if you all are playing DFS football, I will be writing about that again this year, so be sure to check out Fantasy Assembly for all of your DFS football picks as well. Let’s see what we came up with on today’s baseball slate.
As always, all stats are courtesy of rotowire, rotogrinders, fangraphs, baseball-reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Starling Marte vs. Chase Anderson – 6/10 with 2 doubles, a homer and 2 walks
- JJ Hardy vs. Michael Pineda – 9/18 with 3 homers and a walk
- Josh Harrison vs. Chase Anderson – 5/10 with 2 doubles and a homer
- Justin Upton vs. Edinson Volquez – 10/23 with 4 doubles, a homer and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Diamondbacks at Rockies – Coors Field effect in play!
- Pirates vs. Chase Anderson – The Pirates love facing Chase Anderson as they have a collective .341/.407/.611 line against the Brewers’ righty. This should come as no surprise, since the Pirates are loaded with righties and Anderson has allowed a .357 wOBA to right-handed batters since 2015. Starling Marte and Josh Harrison in particular have nice numbers against Anderson, but I would fire up Andrew McCutchen and David Freese as well. And don’t forget about Josh Bell who costs a bargain basement $2,600 on DraftKings. This is a pretty cheap stack that allows you to pay up for pitching.
- Twins vs. Anthony Ranaudo – Ranaudo has been just terrible this year with a 4.74 K/9 and a 6.57 BB/9 leading to his 8.76 ERA. With an ERA that high, you would think that Ranaudo has run into some awful batted ball luck, but that actually has not been the case as his BABIP sits at .208 while his hard contact allowed is well above average at 34.5%. In other words, it could get worse for the White Sox hurler. The Twins have been one of MLB’s best offenses in the 2nd half, ranking 3rd in runs scored behind only Boston’s offensive juggernaut and the Coors aided Rockies. Could be a big day for them.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Yu Darvish vs. Astros – I always love to target a strikeout pitcher against the Astros because the floor is so high. Houston remains among the worst teams in the league with a 23.8% K-Rate versus righties while Darvish boasts elite strikeout numbers with his 30.5% K-Rate. The Japanese righty has also fared well against Houston this year, firing 12 IP while allowing only 8 hits, 4 walks, and one sole earned run while striking out 15. In his last start against Houston, Darvish had a season-high game score of 80. He is an elite play today.
- Eduardo Rodriguez vs. A’s – It has been a tale of two-halves for E-Rod as he was awful in the first half, but very solid in the 2nd. His strikeout numbers help tell this tale as his K/9 and his K-Rate have increased every month and his K-Rate is up to 23.2% in August. The contact rates also help tell the story; Rodriguez allowed 35.6% hard contact before the All-Star break and it is all the way down to 21.4% after the break. It should come as no surprise that in the 2nd half of the year, Rodriguez has a 3.22 ERA and a .281 wOBA allowed. The A’s are not a great hitting bunch and have managed only a .302 wOBA versus lefties this year. I see no reason for E-Rod’s stellar 2nd half to slow down today.
Weather to Target or Avoid:
- Braves at Phillies – 11 MPH wind blowing in
- Nationals at Mets – 12 MPH wind blowing in
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Lorenzo Cain vs. Daniel Norris – Pay attention to lineups as Cain has been dealing with a minor boo-boo, but if he plays he sports an elite .414 wOBA and 160 wRC+ against lefties.
- Ryan Braun vs. Steven Brault – Ryan Braun continues to be one of the best players in MLB against left-handed pitching with a .428 wOBA and 167 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017