Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for May 17
Today is the opposite of yesterday in that there are many elite arms on the mound. It is a day to find some value bats and to decide which of the aces to start. Clayton Kershaw is on the mound against the Angels, which seems like a great match-up (and it kind of is), but bear in mind that while the Angels don’t hit a ton, they also don’t strike out much. For a GPP only player like me, I will have very little Kershaw exposure.
Speaking of yesterday, I hope you all listened to me when I said to stack the Rays’ hitters, but ignored me when I said to start Jose Berrios.
Let’s see what other value we can derive today.
Here are your quick hit thoughts for today.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Freddie Freeman vs. Juan Nicasio – 6/12 with 4 homers 2 doubles and 4 walks
- Robinson Cano vs. Ubaldo Jimenez – 6/11 with 2 doubles 2 homers and a walk
- Evan Longoria vs. Marcus Stroman – 6/12 with 2 homers a double and a walk
- Miguel Cabrera vs. Phil Hughes – 18/41 with 5 doubles 6 homers and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Tigers vs. Phil Hughes – The Tigers as a collective have a .315/.327..528 line against the Twins righty. And let’s not forget Hughes’ ugly 6.60 road ERA. Also, with Berrios’ short outing yesterday, the Twins bullpen will be taxed. Could be another big day for the Tigers.
- Cubs vs. Chase Anderson – Chase Anderson has some terrible reverse splits, allowing a .456 wOBA to right-handed hitters. The Cubs have some pretty potent righty bats including Kris Bryant and Jorge Soler. I’m loving the Cubbies today.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Red Sox at Royals – 13 MPH wind blowing in
Pitchers of the Day:
- Max Scherzer vs. Mets – Scherzer is a streaky pitcher and he seems to be starting a new hot streak after his 20K game against the Tigers. The Mets strike out the 9th most in MLB and Scherzer could be in line for another double-digit strikeout game. He also may not be as highly owned as some other aces because he is facing Noah Syndergaard and will be in tough to get the win. A good DraftKings play.
- Madison Bumgarner vs. Padres – MadBum gets to face the team that strikes out the 2nd most in the majors, behind only the very K prone Astros. On top of that, Bumgarner has stymied the Padres lineup, holding them to a collective .211/.289/.317 line.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Adrian Gonzalez vs. Jered Weaver – A-Gone has an impressive .353 wOBA against righties this year, versus a very average .307 wOBA against lefties.
- Adrian Beltre vs. Erik Surkamp – Beltre is still one of the best hitters in the majors against lefties with a .397 wOBA and 151 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017