Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for May 10
This looks like a stinky day for pitchers with Jacob deGrom, Masahiro Tanaka and Jon Lester as the top options. It quickly falls off the table after that with many middling to poor pitchers toeing the slab. Let’s try to find some good value for you on this slate.
Here are your quick hit thoughts for today:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Kevin Keirmaier vs. Wade Miley – 4/8 with a homer two doubles and a walk
- Joe Mauer vs. Kevin Gausman – 5/8 with 2 doubles and a walk
- Brandon Phillips vs. Juan Nicasio – 5/11 with 2 doubles and a homer
- Troy Tulowitzki vs. Matt Cain – 21/64 with 6 doubles 5 homers and 7 walks
Stacks to Target:
- Rockies and Diamondbacks – Coors Field is in play again. Rockies left-handed bats against Rubby de la Rosa is a great play.
- Rays vs. Wade Miley – People think of the Rays as a weak hitting team and that is somewhat accurate, but is certainly not the case against southpaws. When Tampa faces a lefty starter they are an impressive 1st in the AL in OPS. This could make for a nice, low-owned play.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Pirates at Reds – Possibility of rain
- Padres at Cubs – Possibility of rain
- White Sox at Rangers – 13 MPH wind blowing in
- Orioles at Twins – 11 MPH wind blowing in
Pitchers of the Day:
- Masahiro Tanaka vs. Royals – Ever since he has decided to pitch through his partially torn UCL, people no longer label Tanaka a top-flight pitcher. But look at his numbers for 2016 – he is 4th in the AL in WHIP, 9th in ERA and 3rd in FIP. Today he faces a Royals team that is only 22nd in MLB in OPS. He probably won’t strike out more than 5-6 guys, but this could be a nice game for Tanaka.
- Adam Conley vs. Brewers – Conley has been very impressive his last two starts, averaging a strikeout every inning and not allowing an earned run. The Brewers have struck out the 4th most times in MLB, so even if Conley regresses a bit there is good strikeout potential here. An excellent low-priced play.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Brandon Guyer vs. Wade Miley – Guyer has an impressive .438 wOBA and 195 wRC+ against southpaws on the year.
- David Wright vs. Alex Wood – Wright has not lost his ability to hit lefties as evidenced by his .412 wOBA and 160 wRC+ on the year.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.