Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for April 24.
Today looks to be a good day for hitters. The Blue Jays are at home against a mediocre lefty, the Rockies are at Coors, the always terrible Alfredo Simon faces the Cubs’ buzz-saw of a lineup and even the Phillies get to face the human dumpster fire (and somehow the Brewers’ Opening Day Starter this year) Wily Peralta. Choose your pitchers wisely because scores will be high today on the hitting side.
Here are your quick hit thoughts for today:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Nolan Arenado vs. Alex Wood – 3/9 with 2 homers and 2 walks
- JJ Hardy vs. Yordano Ventura – 4/8 with 2 walks
- Chase Utley vs. Jordan Lyles – 4/9 with 2 extra base hits and 3 walks
- Giancarlo Stanton vs. Matt Cain – 6/20 with 3 homers and 5 walks
Stacks to Target:
- Rockies and Dodgers – Coors Field effect. God does Coors Field annoy me in DFS. (Though yesterday was fairly low scoring).
- Indians LHB vs. Shane Greene – Lefties hit Greene at a .321/.393/.504 clip this year and he has shown no signs of figuring out what ails him against them with a .396 wOBA allowed versus LHB in 2016 (versus a tidy .230 wOBA allowed versus RHB). Jason Kipnis, Carlos Santana, Francisco Lindor and even Tyler Naquin in a wrap-around stack look like nice plays.
- Blue Jays vs. Eric Surkamp – It hasn’t actually materialized in full yet this year, but the Blue Jays destroyed lefties in 2015 and there is no reason to think they won’t do the same in 2016. Surkamp’s splits are not that pronounced, but I think the Jays will have a field day anyway.
- Cubs LHB vs. Alfredo Simon – Simon allowed a .282/.353/.509 line to left-handed hitters last year and now faces off against the tremendous hitting lineup of the Cubs. Anthony Rizzo, Jason Heyward and Dexter Fowler look like solid options today.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Texas at White Sox – 10 MPH wind blowing in
- Baltimore at Kansas City – 20 MPH wind blowing left to right
- Miami at San Francisco – 18 MPH wind blowing out. * Note, however, that AT&T Park was built to account for this type of wind, so it does not have the same effect as it would elsewhere.
- St. Louis at San Diego – 10 MPH wind blowing out
Sneaky Pitchers of the Day:
- Matt Shoemaker vs. Mariners – Shoemaker has a career 2.88 ERA and 0.861 WHIP vs. Seattle. And apart from his horrendous first start, he has actually been pretty solid this season.
- Aaron Blair vs. Mets – Jim says you should consider picking up Blair in your season-long leagues – and I like him for DFS today. 3-0 record with a 1.42 ERA and 10.42 K/9 in AAA this year and the Mets likely don’t have Cespedes today.
Sneaky Platoon Split Hitters:
- Josh Donaldson vs. Eric Surkamp – I know, the reigning AL MVP and current leader in homers and RBI is not really sneaky. But did you know that Donaldson has a .685 wOBA and 377 wRC+ against lefties this year, after destroying them last year? He is worth his price today and is an even better play than Nolan Arenado vs. a lefty at Coors.
- Edwin Encarnacion vs. Eric Surkamp – EE is another player who loves facing southpaws. Thus far on the young season, he has a .460 wOBA and 211 wRC+ against lefties while struggling to a .286 wOBA and 82 wRC+ against righties. Fire up Encarnacion today.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Need more DFS picks, waiver wire suggestions, prospect news and general fantasy baseball advice, head on over to Fantasy Rundown.