Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top Draft Kings plays for September 30th.
Today we have 15 games on the MLB schedule kicking off at 1:05 p.m.; 19 actually thanks to a bevy of doubleheaders, but only 15 count for our purposes. As always, make sure to check your lineup prior to game time for any last-minute scratches, and be sure to check the weather forecast for any potential cancellations.
There are a few games that are in danger of being delayed/cancelled, almost all on the East Coast: Blue Jays/Orioles, Red Sox/Yankees, Mets/Phillies, Cardinals/Pirates, Nationals/Braves, Marlins/Rays. Forecasts change so make sure to double-check the weather for these contests and have an alternate plan for players selected.
It’s like a Sunday in 1956 with a ton of doubleheaders on the slate – but for DraftKings purposes, there are only 15 games on tap starting at 7:05 p.m The doubleheaders are still important though as you need to pay attention to see if a catcher plays in an early game to make sure you don’t play him in the late game. Let’s get this party started.
Studs: Jon Lester, Chicago Cubs ($9,600), Gerrit Cole, Pittsburgh Pirates ($11,300)
- Lester has been great in the 2nd half with a 2.75 FIP. Good price for him against the anemic Reds.
- Cole has been excellent against the Cardinals this year with a 2-1 record, a 2.33 ERA and a 1.138 WHIP.
Bang for Your Buck: Jose Quintana, Chicago White Sox ($8,400), Jordan Zimmermann, Washington Nationals ($8,100)
- Quintana has a 1.00 ERA over his last 4 starts. He’s 5-1 with a 2.94 ERA in the 2nd half
- Zimmermann is 3-0 with a 1.82 ERA in 5 starts against the Braves this year.
Hail Mary: Mike Leake, San Francisco Giants ($5,500), Logan Verrett, New York Mets ($4,000)
- 7 IP, 5 HA and 2 ER allowed in his start against the Dodgers this year.
- A nice price for any pitcher against the Phillies. Verrett has actually been quite serviceable as a starter, having only given up 8 hits in 10 innings in his last 2 starts.
Studs: Chris Gimenez, Texas Rangers ($3,700)
A monster against lefties with a .469 wOBA and 200 wRC+.
Bang for your buck: Salvador Perez, Kansas City Royals ($3,300)
Good success against Quintana going 15/41 with 7 extra-base hits including 2 homers.
Hail Mary: Wilin Rosario, Colorado Rockies ($2,600)
If he plays he is 7/10 with a homer against Chase Anderson.
Studs: Lucas Duda, New York Mets ($4,100)
Duda is super-streaky and he is on one of his patented hot streaks right now with 5 homers over his last 3 games. He gets to face the very hittable Alec Asher today.
Bang for your buck: Albert Pujols, Los Angeles Angels ($3,800)
3 homers in his last 10 games for Prince Albert. He also enjoys facing Zito going 8/20 with 3 homers and 6 walks.
Hail Mary: Mike Napoli, Texas Rangers ($3,400)
Gets to face lefty Matt Boyd – kills southpaws to the tune of a .402 wOBA and 154 wRC+.
Studs: Jason Kipnis, Cleveland Indians ($4,700)
Faces Mike Pelfrey, against whom he is 3/8 with 2 extra-base hits.
Bang for your buck: Daniel Murphy, New York Mets ($4,100)
.311 with 7 homers in 45 games since August 1. Gets to face off against Alec Asher.
Hail Mary: Ivan De Jesus, Cincinnati Reds ($2,200)
Pretty solid hitter against lefties with a .341 wOBA and 113 wRC+.
Studs: Carlos Correa, Houston Astros ($4,600)
.393 wOBA and 152 wRC+ against lefties and plays against James Paxton today.
Bang for your buck: Asdrubal Cabrera, Tampa Bay Rays ($3,300)
Cabrera is 3/8 with 2 extra-base hits against Jarred Cosart.
Hail Mary: Mike Aviles, Cleveland Indians ($2,500)
4/7 in his career against Kyle Gibson.
Studs: Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers ($4,400)
Been hot in the 2nd half with a .357 wOBA and 122 wRC+. Also smokes lefties with a .293/.366/.514 line.
Bang for your buck: Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees ($4,300)
.396 wOBA and 153 wRC+ against left-handed pitching and hits against Wade Miley today.
Hail Mary: Brett Lawrie, Oakland A’s ($3,000)
5/12 in his career against Garrett Richards.
Studs: Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals ($5,800), Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels ($4,900), Nelson Cruz, Seattle Mariners ($4,700)
- Williams Perez struggles against lefties and doesn’t want to see Harper who has a 1.183 OPS against right-handed pitching.
- Trout versus the 2015 version of Barry Zito seems like the biggest mismatch on the board. Trout has a 1.008 OPS versus lefties.
- Cruz has a ridiculous .461 wOBA and 204 wRC+ against lefties and faces Scott Kazmir.
Bang for your buck: Starling Marte, Pittsburgh Pirates ($4,700), George Springer, Houston Astros ($4,200), Franklin Gutierrez, Seattle Mariners ($3,900)
- .346 wOBA and 130 wRC+ at home on the season.
- .382 wOBA and 145 wRC+ against lefties on the season. .958 OPS over his last 10 games.
- Gutierrez has destroyed lefties to the tune of a .434 wOBA and 185 wRC+. 10/23 with 3 homers in his career against Kazmir.
Hail Mary: Andre Ethier, Los Angeles Dodgers ($2,900), Jonny Gomes, Kansas City Royals ($2,200), Chris Young, New York Yankees ($2,600)
- Ethier still pounds righties with a .308/.383/.513 line.
- Gomes still hits lefties well with a .363 wOBA and 131 wRC+.
- .402 wOBA and 158 wRC+ versus lefties. Faces off against Wade Miley.
For my complete lineup, follow me on twitter @nschnurbach
Need more DFS picks, Waiver wire suggestions, prospect news and general fantasy baseball goodness, head on over to Fantasy Rundown.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017