Hello all! We are running out of days on the regular season baseball calendar, and that means that we are running out of days on the daily fantasy baseball calendar. For those who are curious, I generally avoid playing daily fantasy during the playoffs for two reasons. First, the slates are too small for my liking; my game is best suited for 6+ game slates. Second, I watch the playoffs for love of the game and don’t really want to be focused on fantasy performances and would rather be all-in on the real life game. As for today, there are not a ton of aces on the mound, so let’s see if we can find you some good hitters and good value in one of our last slates together. Here we go!
As always, all stats are courtesy of Rotowire, Rotogrinders, Fangraphs, Baseball-Reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Matt Carpenter vs. Anthony DeSclafani – 6/12 with 2 homers, 2 doubles and 3 walks
- Adam Duvall vs. Mike Leake – 4/10 with 2 homers and 2 walks
- Russell Martin vs. Chris Tillman – 6/12 with 3 doubles and 6 walks
- Chase Headley vs. Clay Buchholz – 4/10 with 2 doubles and a homer
Stacks to Target:
- Dodgers vs. Luis Perdomo – The Dodgers love hitting against this rookie as they have scored 19 runs in 19 innings against him. Their batted ball stats are equally impressive with a .452/.482/.626 against Perdomo. The Dodgers have been a different team offensively since the All-Star break ranking 5th in runs scored and 6th in OPS. I can’t see Perdomo slowing them down today.
- Blue Jays vs. Chris Tillman – After a pretty solid first half, Tillman has been mediocre or worse in the 2nd half with a 4.75 ERA and 4.86 xFIP since the break. A lot can be attributed to his contact rates as his hard contact allowed is up to 32.5% in the 2nd half, and he is also allowing a high line drive rate of 23.9%. The Blue Jays have traditionally hit Tillman well as their lineup has an impressive .297/.365/.578 line against him, in a very large sample size. The Blue Jays need this win and I think their bats will come to play.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Miguel Gonzalez vs. Rays – The Rays rank among the worst offenses in the game with a .316 wOBA and 24.2% K-Rate against right-handed pitching. Gonzalez is not flashy, but he has quietly put together an oustanding run of 10 quality starts over his last 11 with a correspondingly stellar 3.47 ERA and .291 wOBA in the 2nd half. Gonzalez’s ceiling is low, but his floor is low as well and he is a safe, cheap option in cash games.
- Francisco Liriano vs. Orioles – Liriano seems to have regained his mojo since joining the Blue Jays as he has a rock solid 2.66 ERA in September and has only allowed 4 earned runs total in his last 3 starts. The enigmatic lefty’s K-Rate has been steadily rising and it is up to 25.4% in the 2nd half of the season. The Orioles quietly struggle against left-handed pitching with a .299 wOBA and 22.0% K-Rate. Liriano is one of my favorite pitchers of the day in both cash games and GPPs.
Weather to Target or Avoid
- Diamondbacks at Nationals – chance of rain
- Red Sox at Yankees – 12 MPH wind blowing in
- Rays at White Sox – chance of rain with a strong left to right wind
Platoon Split Hitters
- Matt Kemp vs. Adam Morgan – Kemp still loves hitting lefties with a .382 wOBA and 141 wRC+ on the season.
- Robbie Grossman vs. Jason Vargas – Grossman is one of my favorite platoon guys this year with an amazing .440 wOBA and 180 wRC+ against lefties.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017