When the regular DFS guy keeps winning money, he’s bound to need the odd weekend off. That’s what happens here with Neil; I sure hope you’ve had some success following along with him here at Fantasy Assembly this year. I will do my darnedest to keep us in the black on this second-to-last weekend of the season. There’s a full slate of games as always, and the weather while largely cooler, doesn’t look like it will be a big factor today.
Here are your quick hits of the day:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- J.D. Martinez vs Yordano Ventura – 8/17 with 3 doubles and 7 walks
- Joey Votto vs Taylor Jungmann – 3/8 with a double, home run and 2 walks
- Brandon Moss vs Jason Hammel – 7/16 with 2 doubles and a home run
- Melvin Upton Jr. vs C.C. Sabathia – 17/59 with 4 doubles, a triple and 4 home runs
- Colby Rasmus vs Jhoulys Chacin – 4/6 with a home run
Stacks to Target:
- Diamondbacks vs Wade Miley – I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps the Orioles aren’t impressed with the 1-5, 7.55 mark that Miley has tossed up since joining their club. Today he faces the D’Backs, who at .357 are tied with Boston for the best wOBA over the past two weeks. Their 26 team home runs during that time lead all of baseball. Miley has an inflated 16.7% HR/FB rate this year, and I can’t see it falling today. Arizona loves facing left-handed pitching, leading the league on the season in wOBA, SLG, OPS, ISO, and even Spd.
- Blue Jays vs C.C. Sabathia – The Jays have already beaten Sabathia three times this year, and it’s not like C.C. has been improving his game recently. Opponents have a .334 wOBA against him in the second half. Toronto meanwhile enjoys facing LHP, ranking 7th overall vs them, while they are also the 5th best offensive club at home. The Jays are putting their early-September offensive struggles behind them, and I expect them to hit a few out on Sabathia who has given up 17 HR to RHH this year.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Madison Bumgarner vs Padres – Kershaw is back today, looking good and has allowed opponents to hit just .154 against him at home this year. I can understand (easily) the desire to insert him into your SP1 slot. In fact, he’s even $600 cheaper than Madison Bumgarner. Vegas even likes the Dodgers a little more at -290 with 6 runs scored while the Giants are favored at -210 with 7 total runs scored. However, the Rockies are fairly hot at the plate lately, so that tips the scales slightly for me. Bumgarner takes on the Padres who are the worst hitting club over the past thirty days. They’re hitting just .213/.277/.350 during that time, while striking out at a 27% rate. They’re also one of the league’s worst hitting teams vs LHP. They did manage to score 3 runs against Bumgarner last week, but I suppose that just made MadBum angry. #Don’tLookAtMe
- Yordano Ventura vs Tigers – I try to give one cheap option, and while I like Reyes, I haven’t recommended any SP vs the Cubs this year and am not about to start today. The Tigers are in must-win mode, but have never beaten Ventura in 11 starts against them. Ventura is coming off his first ever complete game win and I look for him to continue both his recent success and his long-term success against the Tigers today. For $6,500, I don’t think there is a better bargain to be had.
Weather to Target or Avoid:
- Mariners at Twins – 14 MPH wind blowing in. Chance of late rain
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Lorenzo Cain and Whit Merrifield vs Daniel Norris – Combined hitting .366/.414/.559 vs LHP
- Yasmany Tomas vs Wade Miley – Tomas has 10 home runs in 128 AB vs LHP, hitting .361 this year.
- Kenny Vargas vs Ariel Miranda – Vargas is hitting .451 with 4 home runs in 31 AB vs LHP
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @FantasyAssembly
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Paul Hartman (see all)
- 2017 Top 25 Second Base Prospects - January 20, 2017
- 2017 Top 20 First Base Prospects - January 13, 2017
- 2017 Top 20 Catcher Prospects - January 6, 2017
- Five late draft options who could break out in 2017 - December 16, 2016
- Late Draft RP Diving – 2017 - December 9, 2016