It is another glorious day for baseball today. I am looking for some redemption today after a rough day of both real and fantasy baseball for me. In DFS, I cashed with only 1 of my 8 lineups yesterday, so it was a down day. And in real baseball, my team is in the league finals and I lost a line drive in the lights that cost my team two runs and essentially the game. (I did go 3/4 at the plate with 1 run and 3 RBI in an 8-6 loss, but that was little solace).
Anyway, I am sure you didn’t come here to read about my athletic non-exploits, but rather you want some good daily fantasy advice. There are some really strong batter versus pitcher plays today so pay attention to the top of the article, and there are also some good pitchers on the mound. Last time Johnny Cueto and Rich Hill both pitched, I had them both in my lineup where I finished 6th out of 39,215. Hopefully today is a repeat of last Thursday and not a repeat of last night.
As always, all stats are courtesy of Rotowire, Rotogrinders, Fangraphs, Baseball-Reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Jedd Gyorko vs. Jorge de la Rosa – 14/22 with 5 doubles, a homer and 6 walks
- Alex Dickerson vs. Michael Pineda – 6/10 with 2 doubles and a homer
- Salvador Perez vs. Josh Tomlin – 14/23 with 7 doubles and a homer
- Charlie Blackmon vs. Adam Wainwright – 6/10 with 2 doubles and a triple
Stacks to Target:
- Cardinals at Rockies – Feel the power of the Coors!
- Brewers vs. Steven Brault – Brault has had his struggles on the road this season where his wOBA sits at .376. This is in stark contract to his success at home where his ERA is under 3.00. Today he faces the Brewers who are good against lefties, ranking 7th in MLB in OPS at .775 and adding a very solid .332 wOBA. I like this as a cheap and low owned stack.
- Diamondbacks vs. Paul Clemens – Usually I only play the Diamondbacks as a stack against lefties, but Clemens has terrible reverse splits and allows a .433 wOBA to right-handed hitters. The Diamondbacks often trot out a lineup of only right-handed bats including Segura, Owings, Goldschmidt, W Castillo, Tomas and Drury. This seems like a terrible match-up for Clemens and I like this as another low owned stack.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Jon Lester vs. Reds – Lester has quietly been maybe the best pitcher in the majors in the 2nd half of the season. Since the all-star break he has a 1.47 ERA, .226 wOBA against, 25.6% K-Rate, and only 25.8% hard contact allowed. Today he faces the Reds, who are not great against left-handed pitching with a low .300 wOBA. I like Lester’s good form to continue.
- Kevin Gausman vs. Red Sox – Warning!! GPP play only! Do not do this in cash games, but Kevin Gausman will likely be under 10% owned yet has a 0.82 ERA in his last 5 starts. In fact, during the course of the entire second half of the year, Gausman has been great with a 2.58 ERA and 26.3% K-Rate. The Red Sox offense is the best in the business, but in his last start against Boston, Gausman allowed only 4 hits and 1 walk with zero runs over 8 innings with 6 strikeouts. I think he stymies the Sox again.
Weather to Target or Avoid
- None! Play Ball!
Platoon Split Hitters
- Robbie Grossman vs. Matt Boyd – Grossman is elite against lefties with a .452 wOBA and 187 wRC+.
- Jonathan Villar vs. Steven Brault – Villar has a excellent .388 wOBA and 140 wRC+ against southpaws.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- DraftKings NFL Preview – Week 3 - September 23, 2017
- DraftKings NFL Preview – week 2 - September 16, 2017
- DraftKings NFL Preview – Week 1 - September 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Dell Technologies Championship - August 31, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017