Happy Saturday everyone! This should be a fun baseball weekend for me as I am in dogfights in two semi-finals in season long leagues. If I had not had that big cash in the Moonshot on Thursday (if you missed that – here it is again), I would probably skip DFS today and focus on my season long match-ups. But now I feel like I have some good daily momentum going at the end of the year, so I will make some lineups today. There are a few aces on the slate that might be worth paying up for in David Price against the Yankees, Jake Arrieta against Milwaukee, and Yu Darvish against the A’s. I like one of those guys more than the others. Read on to find out more.
As always, all stats are courtesy of Rotowire, Rotogrinders, Fangraphs, Baseball-Reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Matt Adams vs. Jeff Samardzija – 5/10 with 2 doubles and a homer
- Jarrod Dyson vs. Miguel Gonzalez – 8/11 (all singles)
- Adrian Gonzalez vs. Shelby Miller – 5/10 with a homer and a double
- Francisco Lindor vs. Justin Verlander – 7/15 with 2 doubles a homer and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Padres at Rockies – Get in on some Coors Field fun!
- Dodgers vs. Shelby Miller – The Dodgers have traditionally loved facing Miller as they have a .356/.397/.521 line against the Diamondbacks righty. Earlier this month at Dodger Stadium, Miller allowed 11 hits and 2 walks over 4.1 innings and he was lucky to have allowed “only” 5 runs with 4 of them earned. Home cooking will not help Miller as he has an unsightly 7.85 home ERA this year with a .397 wOBA allowed and .551 SLG% allowed. The Dodgers should have some fun this evening.
- Rangers vs. Raul Alcantara – Alcantara had a 4.80 ERA at AA in 17 starts this year and, for some reason, that earned him a promotion to AAA. At the AAA level, he parlayed some crazy batted ball luck (.272 BABIP 85.9% LOB) into a 1.18 ERA in 8 starts. This in turn led to a promotion to the Majors where, predictably, his batted ball luck has run out. In an albeit small sample size, he has a 7.27 ERA only 4.15 K/9 (it was 6.31 at AAA) and is allowing 48.4% hard contact. Start your playoff bound Rangers with confidence.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Francisco Liriano vs. Angels – Liriano seems to like it in Toronto, or maybe he likes the adrenaline of being in a playoff chase. His BB/9 has fallen, K/9 risen and not surprisingly his ERA has fallen by over a run since he was shipped up north. His momentum continued in his last start as Liriano only allowed 3 hits, a walk and 2 runs over 6.1 IP while striking out 6. The Angels rank a middling 21st in OPS versus left-handed pitching and 25th in OPS at home. I like Liriano to exceed value today.
- David Price vs. Yankees – After a surprisingly mediocre beginning of the season, Price has found his groove in the 2nd half allowing only a .283 wOBA and sporting a tidy 2.99 ERA. The Yankees have been playing some pretty good ball in the 2nd half, but they still rank only 25th in OPS against lefties and 29th in OPS on the road. I expect Price to continue rolling tonight.
Weather to Target or Avoid
- Pirates at Reds – chance of rain
- Tigers at Indians – chance of rain
Platoon Split Hitters
- George Springer vs. James Paxton – Springer is a lefty masher with a .402 wOBA and 157 wRC+
- Evan Gattis vs. James Paxton – I love slotting Gattis into my lineups against lefties as he hits them to the tune of a .378 wOBA and 141 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.