This morning I was excited to see that I had broken into the top 1,000 of the Bantamweight rankings on Rotogrinders. For a long time, I was a top 1,000 ranked Flyweight, but when I played (and cashed) in a $27 tournament, I moved up a “weight class” and dropped out of the top 1,000. But I am excited to be back there in the new weight class. Today’s slate is an interesting one as always. I love playing my platoon splits and there are so many to exploit today. Let’s see what I came up with.
As always, all stats are courtesy of rotowire, rotogrinders, fangraphs, baseball-reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Ryan Raburn vs. Gio Gonzalez – 7/14 with 3 homers, a double and a walk
- Matt Joyce vs. Matt Garza – 4/10 with a homer and a double
- Nelson Cruz vs. Chris Sale – 7/19 with 2 homers and 2 walks
- Victor Martinez vs. Ricky Nolasco – 7/17 with 2 doubles and 3 walks
Stacks to Target:
- Cardinals vs. Ross Detwiler – Detwiler has been brutal against right-handed hitters in the last two years, allowing a .395 wOBA in 2016 after allowing an astronomical .477 wOBA in 2015. The Cards are a tough match-up as they rank 4th in OPS and 2nd in homers in August. The Cards can also throw a nice line-up of righties at Detwiler with Grichuck, Piscotty, Gyorko, Molina and Peralta and should pose a big problem for him today.
- Red Sox vs. Ian Kennedy – There are a lot of weaker pitchers on the hill tonight, so a Red Sox stack might be lower owned than usual. Kennedy has struggled at Fenway, allowing a .346/.393/.538 line is his games there. And the Sox still boast an excellent .350 team wOBA and .188 team ISO against righties. This might be a great and only moderately owned stack.
Pitchers of the Day:
- Justin Verlander vs. Angels – Verlander’s resurgence this season has been remarkable. His K/9 and K% are his highest since 2009 with his K% sitting at a robust 26.1%. His soft-contact rate is also very high, sitting at its highest rate since 2011. It seems his plan to use his slider more (highest usage of his career) is working, and his fastball velocity is up to its highest levels since 2013. The Angels are a nice match-up for Verlander as their line-up has an anemic .147/.247/.256 career line against him. Additionally, the Angels rank 29th in OPS in August. Verlander’s great season should continue today.
- Jarred Cosart vs. Marlins – The Padres righty takes on his former team and costs only $4,600 on DraftKings. This seems way too cheap as Cosart loves pitching at Marlins Park with a career .218/.296/.304 line along with a 2.49 ERA and 1.18 WHIP. The Marlins also rank a terrible 28th in OPS in the month of August. Cosart has limited strikeout upside, but is a safe, cheap play that should let you get some good bats on your squads.
Weather to Target or Avoid:
- None! Let’s Play Ball.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Yasmany Tomas vs. Brandon Finnegan – Tomas is pummeling lefties with a .429 wOBA and 165 wRC+.
- Brian Dozier vs. Francisco Liriano – Dozier is having a great season and is especially potent against southpaws with a .455 wOBA and 191 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Dean & Deluca Invitational - May 24, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – AT&T Byron Nelson - May 17, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – THE PLAYERS Championship - May 10, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Wells Fargo Championship - May 3, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Valero Texas Open Preview - April 19, 2017