Like a good pinch-hitter, the key is to be prepared mentally at a moments notice. Hopefully I can keep the game alive today subbing in for our resident expert Neil. I am not a fan of many of the pitching match ups and may be tempted to do a few variations of my lineups. There are plenty of great hitter opportunities, and I’d hate to lose out because I’m plugging in arms that I am less than sure about. There are no early afternoon games, so there will be plenty of time to make last-minute adjustments. Good luck
Here are your quick hits of the day:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Hunter Pence vs Bartolo Colon – 6/11 with a double, 2 home runs and 2 walks
- Billy Butler vs Chris Sale – 17/35 with 5 doubles, 3 home runs and 4 walks
- Brian McCann vs Ricky Nolasco – 21/65 with 5 doubles and 8 home runs
- Mark Teixeira vs Ricky Nolasco – 5/10 with a home run and 5 walks
- Didi Gregorius vs Ricky Nolasco – 10/19 with 3 doubles
Stacks to Target:
- Cubs vs Rockies – Coors Field Alert! The Cubs are starting Mike Montgomery, which makes this a bullpen game for them, while the Jeff Hoffman is making his big league debut for the Rockies. Vegas has the over/under at 12 runs today.
- Yankees vs Ricky Nolasco – Current Yankees have a .447 wOBA vs Nolasco in 168 career plate appearances. I hear that’s pretty good. Nolasco has given up 22 home runs this year, while the Yankees are the 6th best slugging team over the past two weeks. The Yankees have been striking out a ton, but Nolasco, with the worst FIP of his career, has a k/9 under 7 this year. Vegas somewhat agrees with me, giving this matchup a 9 run score. They favor the Angels though who are the worst hitting team in baseball over the past two weeks.
- Diamondbacks vs Clayton Richard – Against LHP this year, the Diamondbacks rank #1 overall in OPS, ISO, SLG, wOBA and Spd. Over the past two weeks, they are the third best hitting club with a .366 wOBA. I see no reason why Richard would be the one to stop this fast-moving train.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Red Sox at Tigers – Chance of rain
- Atletics at White Sox – 16 MPH wind blowing out
- Dodgers at Reds – Chance of rain
- Jays at Indians – Chance of rain, 12 MPH wind blowing out
Pitchers of the Day:
- Max Scherzer vs Braves – When the day’s top pitcher goes against the worst hitting club in the majors, it’s usually a safe bet that he’ll be largely owned today. I mean, who can argue those facts? The Braves have had a little success against Scherzer this year though, and I’m only in here in cash games. There aren’t a lot of other choices really; King Felix goes up against a hot Brewers club. Robbie Ray is the highest priced 4.50 ERA pitcher on the docket (and SD isn’t bad against LHP). Then there’s Chris Sale, who will be throwing in ridiculous conditions. My sneaky GPP suggestions are Luke Weaver and David Phelps.
- Ian Kennedy vs Twins – Kennedy has been remarkably steady this year, averaging nearly 17 FPPG on Draft Kings. That mark is over 18 at home, where he has a 3.50 ERA, holding hitters to a .219 BAA. He’s 1-0 against the Twinkies this year with a 1.80 ERA. The Twins were hot to start the month, but have cooled down over the past two weeks, ranking 22nd overall in that time and 24th overall in the past week.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Wilmer Flores vs Matt Moore – Hitting .349 vs LHP with 8 home runs (and a 7:9 BB:K ratio) in just 86 at bats
- Jake Smolinski vs Chris Sale – Hitting .338/.400/.618 vs LHP this year. Semien also strong vs LHP here.
- Leon, HanRam, C.Young, A.Hill and Bogaerts – Things may not go the way of my favorite pitcher Daniel Norris today.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @FantasyAssembly
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.