Sunday afternoons are always lovely. Today, however, I have a lot of chores to do while my family will be going swimming. So I’ll be firing up MLB audio, listening to baseball and hopefully winning at DFS. Today’s slate is full of pitchers that I like, but I had to dig a bit deeper for hitting. Let’s see how we do.
As always, all stats are courtesy of rotowire, rotogrinders, fangraphs, baseball-reference and ESPN. Here are your quick hits of the day.
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Mike Napoli vs. Masahiro Tanaka – 6/10 with 3 doubles, 2 homers and 4 walks
- Colby Rasmus vs. Yu Darvish – 7/16 with 2 doubles, a homer and a walk
- Leonys Martin vs. Matt Shoemaker – 7/15 with 2 doubles and a homer
- Brad Miller vs. Kyle Gibson – 5/11 with 2 doubles and 2 walks
Stacks to Target:
- Marlins at Rockies – Coors Field alert! Jon Gray is going for the Rockies so the Marlins won’t be as highly owned.
- Orioles vs. James Shields – Shields has been a tomato can all year, and right-handed bats have especially teed off on him with a .369 wOBA on the year. Some thought Shields was rebounding when he had a 1.78 July ERA, but that came with a 100% strand rate making it completely unsustainable as we saw in his first August start. Shields’ 33.3% hard contact rate is the highest he’s had since 2010 and it shows no signs of lowering. The Orioles are not a way for him to turn it around as they have an impressive .339 wOBA and .194 ISO versus righties this year. Should be some fireworks.
- Twins vs. Matt Andriese – Judging by ownership percentages, DFS players have not yet noticed that the Twins’ offense is on fire. Since the all-star break Minnesota has the 2nd highest OPS and have scored the 2nd most runs in the majors. Andriese has a sub three ERA, but that comes with a .261 BABIP despite a hard contact rate of 35.7%. His luck is bound to run out and it could very well start today against a very hot offense.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Blue Jays at Royals – chance of rain
Pitchers of the Day:
- Yu Darvish vs. Astros – As we all know, the DFS sites heavily reward pitchers who strike out hitters. Houston remains one of the most strikeout prone teams in MLB with a 24.2% K-rate versus right-handed starters. Darvish has an amazing 34.6% K-rate on the season and couples that with 12.68 K/9. He tossed a season high 6.1 innings in his last start and may finally be prepared to pitch deeply into games. If that is the case, this could be a very high score.
- Gerrit Cole vs. Reds – Cole has gotten hot recently with 3 straight starts of 1 earned run or less. The Reds shouldn’t pose him too many problems as they have a pedestrian .306 wOBA against right-handed pitching. Cole is also fairly reasonably priced, especially on DraftKings where he will only set you back $9,200. I like him today.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Javier Baez vs. Sean Manaea – Baez hits lefties well with a .410 wOBA and 158 wRC+.
- Jett Bandy vs. James Paxton – I like to punt catchers and this is a good way to go as Bandy has a .482 wOBA and 215 wRC+ versus lefties on the year.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Travelers Championship - June 21, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – US Open - June 13, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – FedEx St Jude Classic - June 7, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Memorial - May 31, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Dean & Deluca Invitational - May 24, 2017