Happy Saturday everyone! I send my oldest daughter off to sleep-away camp tomorrow, so today is going to be a big time family day. Saturday is usually my DFS day off and it will definitely be so today, but I have done some research for you all to make sure you don’t fall behind. Let’s see if I can help you out.
Here are your quick hits of the day:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Ben Zobrist vs. Bartolo Colon – 8/14 with 4 homers, a double and 3 walks
- Desmond Jennings vs. Justin Verlander – 4/11 with 2 homers and a double
- Matt Carpenter vs. Jimmy Nelson – 6/13 with a double, a homer and 2 walks
- Michael Bourn vs. Jeff Samardzija – 8/16 with 2 doubles, a triple and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Cardinals vs. Jimmy Nelson – Nelson has struggled with the Cardinals, allowing them a collective line of .329/.374/.482. And the Cardinals have been effective against right-handed pitching all year ranking 2nd in the National League with an .808 OPS. Not to be overlooked is that Nelson has failed to pitch more than 5.1 innings in his last 5 starts, and the Brewers have the 3rd worst bullpen in the National League in batting average against. Could be a big day for the Cardinals.
- Twins vs. Chi Chi Gonzalez – Gonzalez is sub-replacement level fodder, and even the middling Twins offense should be able to capitalize. In 2015, Gonzalez managed a sub 4.00 ERA in 67 innings despite walking more guys than he struck out, thanks to an amazingly fluky .206 BABIP against. That won’t happen again. Gonzalez’s AAA ERA was a terrible 5.04 before his call-up and he won’t fare better in the majors. The Twins will likely be a low owned stack, but I like them for a nice game.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Brewers at Cardinals – Chance of rain
- Angels at Red Sox – 11 MPH wind blowing out
Pitchers of the Day:
- Chris Sale vs. Astros – Sale’s 8.68 K/9 in 2016 would easily be a career low, but he seems to finally be shedding his pitch to contact approach this year as he is over a K/IP over his last 4 starts. That is good news if you want to target Sale against the Astros who strike out at a 24.5% clip against lefties. On May 19, Sale threw a complete game 4 hitter against Houston with 9 strikeouts. I can see him duplicating that feat today.
- Danny Duffy vs. Phillies – After really not showing much by way of strikeout potential in the first few years of his career, Duffy has emerged with a 29.7% K-rate and a 10.67 K/9 in 2016 to become one of the best strikeout pitchers in the game. The Phillies struggle against southpaws with a .266 wOBA and also strike out a bunch with a 23.7% K-rate. Duffy is priced like an average pitcher today, but he will likely be a top 3 play.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Buster Posey vs. Patrick Corbin – Buster has a rock solid .387 wOBA and 150 wRC+ versus southpaws
- Xander Bogaerts vs. Hector Santiago – Bogaerts continues to impress against lefties with a .399 wOBA and 147 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017