Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for June 24
It’s a holiday here in Montreal today, so that means a day full of sun, swimming and BBQ. Unfortunately there are no day baseball games for me to watch, so I’ll have to settle for some golf and get my baseball fix this evening. It looks like a fun slate of games as Max Scherzer has a dream match-up, there is a game in Coors, and two high scoring powerhouses – the Rangers and Red Sox – square off. Let’s see what we come up with.
Here are your quick hits of the day:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Lorenzo Cain vs. Dallas Keuchel – 5/12 with a double, triple, homer and walk
- James McCann vs. Danny Salazar – 5/10 with a triple and a walk
- Matt Wieters vs. Matt Moore – 8/20 with a double, two homers and 3 walks
- Colby Rasmus vs. Edinson Volquez – 5/14 with 3 doubles and a homer
Stacks to Target:
- DBacks at Rockies – The Coors Field effect is back!
- Reds vs. Colin Rea – Surprisingly, Cincinnati has the 2nd most runs in the National League in June. Even more surprisingly, their opponent, the Padres, lead the way in that category. The Reds face off against a pitcher who has really struggled, especially on the road. Rea has a .358 wOBA allowed and 5.06 ERA away from the friendly confines of Petco this year. Look for the big bats of the Reds to have a big day.
- Angels vs. Eric Surkamp – Surkamp has been a human pinata this year, allowing a .412 wOBA versus left-handed hitters and an equally awful .413 wOBA versus right-handed hitters. He barely strikes guys out with a K-Rate of 5.14 K/9 and his walk rate isn’t good either at 4.89 BB/9. The Angels are a middling offense and were actually Surkamp’s opponent in two of the three games that his ERA has been under 4.00 this year. But I can’t imagine they won’t start hitting this pitcher. Tonight is the night.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Rays at Orioles – rain possibility
- Red Sox at Rangers – 11 MPH wind blowing in
Pitchers of the Day:
- Max Scherzer vs. Brewers – Scherzer leads the slate in SIERA since 2015 with a 2.71 mark, and also leads the slate in K-Rate since 2015 wtih 31.2%. The Brewers strike out a lot versus righties (25.9%). Scherzer is pretty much a lock for 10+ strikeouts – and I would bet that he’ll have more than 12 strikeouts on the night. Anything else is pretty much gravy and I like a nice game from Mad Max.
- Steven Matz vs. Braves – Atlanta is still historically terrible against left-handed pitching with a ridiculously low .258 wOBA and a not as embarrassing, but still low 22.6% K-Rate. Matz has an impressive 2.71 FIP and 9.08 K/9. He should have no trouble shutting down the Braves, and I like him for a nice game today.
- Peavy vs. Phillies and Taillon vs. Dodgers – I only gave you high priced options above, so if you want to pay for Coors players, I like Peavy and Taillon today against subpar offenses.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Matt Kemp vs. Cody Reed – Kemp has been below average against righties this year, but is laying waste to lefties with a .456 wOBA and 196 wRC+.
- Lorenzo Cain vs. Dallas Keuchel – Cain is another guy who isn’t having a banner season against righties, but he is murdering lefties with a .465 wOBA and 198 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.