Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for June 22
It’s a split slate today, and there are some fun match-ups all around. If you want to play the early slate, Jake Arrieta, Noah Syndergaard and the resurgent Matt Shoemaker all toe the slab. And in the evening slate, Jose Quintana, Chris Archer and young Julio Urias lead the way. There is plenty to choose from today so let’s see how we do.
Here are your quick hits of the day:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Victor Martinez vs. Hisashi Iwakuma – 6/12 with 2 homers, a double and 2 walks
- Rickie Weeks vs. JA Happ – 8/19 with 3 doubles, 2 homers and 2 walks
- Kris Bryant vs. Michael Wacha – 5/13 with 2 doubles, a homer and a walk
- Jose Altuve vs. Matt Shoemaker – 5/12 with a double and a homer
Stacks to Target:
- Diamondbacks vs. JA Happ – Who has the highest OPS in the majors against lefties? The Red Sox? The Orioles? The Blue Jays? Nope – it’s the Arizona Diamondbacks whose .842 OPS versus lefties dwarfs the Rays who are #2 at .819. The DBacks boast a lineup full of hitters who are killing lefties this season including Goldschmidt (.456 wOBA), Tomas (.442 wOBA), Pete O’Brien (.556 wOBA in a small sample size), Welington Castillo (.469 wOBA) and even Rickie Weeks (.394 wOBA). Happ’s ERA looks good enough at 3.41, but that is aided by a fluky .250 BABIP which won’t last given his 32.8% hard contact allowed. His 4.67 SIERA tells a more accurate story. The DBacks could be the top play of the day today.
- Twins vs. Adam Morgan – In terms of sneaky stacks, I really like the Twins tonight. Minnesota is known for its inept offense, but it has quietly snuck into the top half of teams in runs scored (12th) and OPS (10th) for the month of June. Morgan is a pretty terrible pitcher as evidenced by his 38.4% hard contact allowed and equally ugly 6.49 ERA. People generally don’t touch the Twins offense, and this could be a good differentiator in a GPP tonight.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Rockies at Yankees – 11 MPH wind blowing out
- Royals at Mets – 11 MPH wind blowing out
- Cards at Cubs – chance of rain
- Brewers at A’s – 10 MPH wind blowing out
- Mariners at Tigers – chance of rain
- Reds at Rangers – 12 MPH wind blowing in
Pitchers of the Day:
- Matt Shoemaker vs. Astros – Shoemaker has always had good success against the Astros, especially in the strikeout department as he has a career 32% K-rate against this Astros lineup. And that was before Matt Shoemaker turned into MATT SHOEMAKER – the one with the 55/2 K/BB ratio over his last 6 starts. The Astros strike out at a 24.8% clip against right-handed starters, and they can be in for a long night against the new and improved Shoemaker.
- Danny Duffy vs. Mets – Duffy costs a mere $7,400 on both DraftKings and FanDuel, and gets a sweetheart match-up against the Mets today. The Mets strike out at a 25.4% clip against left-handed pitchers and Duffy has turned himself into a strikeout pitcher this year with a 10.50 K/9. Duffy’s soft contact of 25.9% is also impressive and shows that his success is sustainable. His 3.03 SIERA is among the best of the slate, and yet he is a cheap pitching option in a good match-up. I love this play today.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Yasmany Tomas vs. JA Happ – Tomas has a .442 wOBA and 178 wRC+ versus lefties this year. As mentioned above, many of his teammates have favorable platoon splits too.
- Eduardo Nunez vs. Adam Morgan – If you want to play just one guy against Morgan, Nunez is as solid a pick as any. He has an impressive .422 wOBA and 169 wRC+ against lefties this year.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – AT&T Byron Nelson - May 17, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – THE PLAYERS Championship - May 10, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Wells Fargo Championship - May 3, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Valero Texas Open Preview - April 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Masters Preview - April 5, 2017