Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for June 19
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there. Daily Fantasy has actually been a real bonding experience for my father-in-law and I. Every Sunday during the football season for the last 15 or so years, my father-in-law and I watch the early games together. But, when football season ended, we went to our own respective sports vices. He is a college basketball and golf guy, while I am a baseball and hockey guy.
But last year when I saw that DraftKings offered golf contests, I called my father-in-law and asked him if he wanted to help me build a lineup. He thought that was a cool idea and we met on the Wednesday before the tournament started and built a lineup together. We really enjoyed the experience and decided to keep going. Now, every Tuesday I do golf research (course history, relevant stats for a specific course, etc.) and send it to my father-in-law. We then meet on Wednesday to discuss which golfers we like and pick 12-15 golfers. Then I will make 3 lineups out of the golfers we select. And we watch golf together on Sundays and sometimes a few holes on Friday evenings if I can get home from work early enough.
So today, on Father’s Day, I am looking forward to watching some golf with my father-in-law. One of our three teams is doing well so root on Dustin Johnson, Daniel Berger, Billy Horschel, Kevin Streelman and Matt Kuchar! (Henrik Stenson was the last guy on that team).
Alright, thanks for indulging me with that little story. I have also done some baseball research for you all and will hopefully empower you guys with some knowledge.
Here are your quick hits of the day:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Howie Kendrick vs. Matt Garza – 8/15 with a double and a homer
- DJ LeMahieu vs. Tom Koehler – 6/11 with a double and a walk
- Michael Saunders vs. Chris Tillman – 5/14 with 2 homers, a double and 2 walks
- Zach Cozart vs. Mike Fiers – 4/10 with 2 doubles, a triple and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Dodgers vs. Matt Garza – Garza struggled mightily on the road last year with a 6.59 ERA and .373 wOBA allowed. The Dodgers have not been great against right-handed pitchers this year, but their offense seems to have come alive as of late, scoring 6+ runs in 3 of their last 4. Garza used to be a slightly above average pitcher, but he is that no longer. The Dodgers should have some fun today.
- Angels vs. Erik Surkamp – Surkamp’s ERA is at 8.07, and the underlying stats support an elevated ERA. Surkamp has allowed a ghastly line drive rate of 29.3%. In addition, his K/9 is a low 4.66 and his BB/9 is an unacceptable 5.28. As I’ve mentioned before, targeting pitchers who walk a lot of guys is a great stacking strategy. The Angels offense is getting better as they rank 15th in runs scored in June. Fire up Trout and the boys today.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Yankees at Twins – 22 MPH wind blowing L to R
- Angels at A’s – 10 MPH wind blowing out
Pitchers of the Day:
- Carlos Carrasco vs. White Sox – Carrasco is the pitcher with the highest K-Rate on today’s slate at 28.3%. The White Sox are not great against right-handed hitters sporting a .302 team wOBA. Carrasco is surprisingly affordable on DraftKings costing only $8,200. I like this play a lot.
- Nathan Eovaldi vs. Twins – Another surprisingly low-priced pitcher on DraftKings is Eovaldi who costs only $5,800. While it is true that Big Nate has a fairly high 4.90 ERA, his xFIP is only 3.66 and his SIERA sits at 3.76. His elevated ERA is mainly due to a 17.1% HR/FB which would obliterate his career high of 8.1%. The Twins strike out 22.6% of the time against righties and only have a .305 team wOBA against them too. I like Eovaldi for a nice game.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Jake Lamb vs. Zach Eflin – Lamb has been doing a number on righties this year with a .398 wOBA and 148 wRC+.
- Stephen Piscotty vs. Martin Perez – Piscotty has been among the league’s best hitters against lefties with a .496 wOBA and 220 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.