Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for June 18
Yesterday was a fun day. It was profitable for me though it could have been even better as my punt picks to go with my DBacks stack didn’t work out. I also had Michael Saunders and Franklin Gutierrez in lineups, but I didn’t put enough great performers around them to have a great cash. But, I can’t complain too much with being up on the day.
Today looks like another good day with Max Scherzer and Zach Greinke having good match-ups on the mound and the Red Sox having a seemingly good match-up as well. Let’s see how we do.
Here are your quick hits of the day:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Yasmani Grandal vs. Chase Anderson – 3/10 with 3 homers and a walk
- Matt Joyce vs. Jon Lester – 4/11 with 2 homers and a walk
- Edwin Encarnacion vs. Yovani Gallardo – 5/16 with 3 homers and 3 walks
- Seth Smith vs. Rick Porcello – 6/13 with 3 doubles and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Red Sox vs. Adrian Sampson – Sampson is a pitch to contact guy who had a K/9 of 6.83 in the minor leagues. That doesn’t seem to be a good recipe to beat the Sox who still boast an other-worldly .850 OPS at Fenway. No need to overthink this. Play your Red Sox.
- Cardinals vs. Nick Martinez – Martinez struggles with right-handed hitters allowing a .387 wOBA. The Cards have a bunch of hard-hitting right-handed bats in their lineup who should be able to take advantage. They are 2nd in the majors with an .816 OPS versus right-handed starters.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- None! Play Ball
Pitchers of the Day:
- Jerad Eickhoff vs. Diamondbacks – This is a great GPP play as the DBacks put up a bunch of runs yesterday and no one will be targeting pitchers against them. Having said that, the DBacks are great against lefties like Adam Morgan, where they lead the majors in OPS, but are middling against righties where they rank 15th. In addition, Eickhoff is dynamite against right-handed bats, of which the DBacks have many, as he holds righties to a .242 wOBA in his career. Eickhoff is also great at home where he has a 2.12 ERA in 2016. This could be a winning play.
- Michael Pineda vs. Twins – Pineda is striking guys out at a nice clip with a 9.88 K/9, but his overall numbers are still being held down by a ridiculously high .371 BABIP and a way too low 67.9% strand rate. Those numbers will continue to normalize, and Pineda’s 5.88 ERA will fall. Look no further than his 3.56 xFIP and 3.54 SIERA as evidence. The Twins are not a great offense and have a K-rate of 22.6% against right-handed starters. I like Pineda for a nice game.
- Scherzer vs. Padres – This one is obvious, but I’ll say a couple of words anyway. The Padres have a 24.1% K-rate against righties and Scherzer leads the slate with a 2.73 SIERA. If you want to pay for pitching, the highest priced pitcher is also best.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Lorenzo Cain vs. Matt Boyd – Cain hasn’t been himself against righties thus far, but his .460 wOBA and 195 wRC+ versus lefties should do the trick.
- Javier Baez vs. Jeff Locke – Baez has been impressive against southpaws this year with a .421 wOBA and 167 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – AT&T Byron Nelson - May 17, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – THE PLAYERS Championship - May 10, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Wells Fargo Championship - May 3, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Valero Texas Open Preview - April 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Masters Preview - April 5, 2017