Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for May 14
Interesting daily fantasy day today. There are quite a few elite pitchers on the hill in Arreita, Strasburg, Kluber and Quintana. And there is also quite a bit of rain in the forecast today. Maybe I should not admit this, but given that it is a weekend split slate with a lot of weather delays possible, I think I am going to skip daily fantasy today. But that doesn’t mean that I can’t offer up some advice.
Here are your quick hit thoughts for today:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Melky Cabrera vs. Ivan Nova – 7/12 with a double 2 homers and a walk
- Hunter Pence vs. Patrick Corbin – 10/21 with 4 doubles 3 homers and 2 walks
- Mike Napoli vs. Ervin Santana – 7/19 with 3 doubles 3 homers and 2 walks
- Giancarlo Stanton vs. Stephen Strasburg – 14/35 with 7 doubles 3 homers and 5 walks
Stacks to Target:
- Nationals vs. Justin Nicolino – Nicolino may look nice to some people on the surface with his 2.79 ERA but his 1.40 K/9 coupled with a 30.4% hard contact rate tell a different story. The best way for stacks to work is if a bunch of guys on the same team string some hits together (and then the last guy hits a homer). Nicolino is just the type of guy to stack against.
- White Sox vs. Ivan Nova – Nova struggles against the White Sox hitters as Melky Cabrera, Austin Jackson and Brett Lawrie have all hit him well over their careers. Nova also has allowed a .348 wOBA to left handed bats, so Adam Eaton is very much in play too.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Miami at Washington – 14 MPH wind out (game 1) rain possible (game 2)
- Minnesota at Cleveland – rain possibility
- Cincinnati at Philadelphia – rain possibility
- Detroit at Baltimore – rain possibility
Pitchers of the Day:
- Corey Kluber vs. Twins – With Arrieta on the mound, people may not pay up for Kluber. But the Indians’ ace still has strikeout stuff and faces a Twins team that strikes out the 9th most in MLB. They also have only the 22nd highest OPS against righties. I think Kluber is the top scoring pitcher of the day.
- Hisashi Iwakuma vs. Angels – Iwakuma is dynamite at home with a career wOBA allowed of .281 in the friendly confines of Safeco Field. The Angels really struggle with right-handed pitching where they rank 26th in team OPS.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Jason Kipnis vs. Ervin Santana – Kipper has a .224 wOBA and 35 wRC+ against lefties but has thrived against righties with a .387 wOBA and 152 wRC+.
- Buster Posey vs. Patrick Corbin – Posey looks to be scuffling this season, but he still has elite numbers against lefties with a .389 wOBA and 148 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.