Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for May 9
Interesting day in daily fantasy today as the Rockies are back at Coors Field and there are a couple of big name pitchers on the mound. I won’t be fading the Rockies/Diamondbacks game entirely, but I think I will be mostly paying up for pitching and trying to find value elsewhere.
Here are your quick hit thoughts for today:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Derek Dietrich vs. Wily Peralta – 8/14 with 2 doubles a homer and a walk
- Josh Reddick vs. Clay Buchholz – 4/9 with a double a homer and a walk
- Daniel Murphy vs. Anibal Sanchez – 5/10 with 2 doubles
- Brandon Phillips vs. Jon Niese – 9/21 with a double 2 homers and a walk
Stacks to Target:
- Rockies and Diamondbacks – Coors Field is in play again
- Marlins vs. Wily Peralta – Peralta has never been an especially effective pitcher, but he has taken his ineptitude to new levels this year. His hard contact rate is up, soft contact down, walk rate up and lefties and righties both have a wOBA over .400 against him. The Marlins are reasonably priced, and you can get a good pitcher in your lineup if you stack this team.
- Blue Jays vs. Jake Peavy – I still stubbornly think that the Blue Jays are the best offense in the majors despite their lack of production so far. Peavy is giving up an astounding amount of hard contact – 36.2% – and his velocity is down about 1.5 MPH. He looks like a pitcher with little gas left in the tank. I think the Blue Jays break out tonight.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
- Pirates at Reds – Possibility of rain
- Padres at Cubs – Possibility of rain
- Orioles at Twins – Possibility of rain and 16 MPH wind blowing in
Pitchers of the Day:
- Corey Kluber vs. Houston – I took away the word “sneaky” before “pitchers of the day” because I felt like I was giving you picks that were a bit too risky and it was of no benefit. I really like Kluber today as Houston strikes out the most in MLB and Kluber is top 5 in K/9 the last 2 years. His ERA is a respectable 3.35, but his FIP on the year is an elite 2.58 and his WHIP at 0.953. I think the best is yet to come for Kluber and this could be a huge day. A bit of risk/reward with the potent Astros lineup though, so this play is best for a GPP.
- Felix Hernandez vs. Tampa Bay – The Rays struggle with right-handed pitching – ranking 25th in MLB in OPS, and that is good news for King Felix. Felix isn’t the must start that he used to be, but against this lineup I will take him ten times out of ten.
Platoon Split Hitters:
- Derek Dietrich vs. Wily Peralta – Dietrich is smoking right-handed pitching with a .436 wOBA and 170 wRC+.
- Melky Cabrera vs. Colby Lewis – The Melk-Man has been much more impressive versus right-handed pitching on the year with a .355 wOBA.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Dean & Deluca Invitational - May 24, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – AT&T Byron Nelson - May 17, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – THE PLAYERS Championship - May 10, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Wells Fargo Championship - May 3, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf – Valero Texas Open Preview - April 19, 2017