Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top DFS Plays for May 3
Today is going to be quite a day for lineup construction. We have the choice of either paying for top flight pitching with the unhittable Jake Arrieta toeing the bump and Matt Harvey pitching against the hapless Braves. Or we can pay for hitters in some fantastic match-ups like Josh Donaldson, Paul Goldschmidt and Giancarlo Stanton all facing hittable lefties as well as Bryce Harper facing fly ball machine Chris Young. I, for one, am looking forward to this slate
Here are your quick hit thoughts for today:
Batter versus Pitcher Warriors:
- Alex Rodriguez vs. Chris Tillman – 6/13 with 4 homers and 3 walks
- Billy Hamilton vs. Jeff Samardzija – 5/10 with 3 extra base hits including a homer and a walk
- Bryce Harper vs. Chris Young – 4/8 with a homer and a walk
- Matt Joyce vs. Jake Arrieta (for the brave souls) – 7/14 with 2 doubles a homer and 2 walks
Stacks to Target:
- Blue Jays vs. Martin Perez – The Jays actually haven’t started smoking lefties yet, ranking a mediocre 16th in team OPS versus southpaws, but that will change soon. Josh Donaldson, Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Bautista and even Russell Martin are lefty killers. Martin Perez has a .365 wOBA allowed to righties this year and it is .337 over his career. It’s possible that the Jays’ ownership will be down a smidge thanks to their slow start – this is as safe a play as any.
- Diamondbacks vs. Justin Nicolino – Nicolino is a pitch to contact lefty in the Mark Buehrle mold. The Diamondbacks have the 2nd highest slugging percentage against left-handed starters on the year at .515 and I don’t think they will have much difficulty with the Marlins young lefty. Goldschmidt, Drury and Welington Castillo are a good beginning to a stack.
Weather Factors to Target or Avoid:
None! Let’s play ball!
Sneaky Pitchers of the Day:
- Jose Quintana vs. Red Sox – First off, Quintana has been dynamite recently, as he has the lowest ERA in the American League since last year’s all-star break. But on top of that, the Red Sox have really struggled against left-handed pitching this year ranking last in the AL and 28th in MLB with a .605 team OPS. I think Quintana will have relatively low ownership and should put up a nice game.
- Justin Verlander vs. Indians – Verlander had his best start of the season against the Tribe going 7 innings and allowing only 4 hits and 2 runs while striking out 10. If you don’t have the budget for the top pitchers, he is a fine secondary option.
Sneaky Platoon Split Hitters:
- Marcell Ozuna vs. Patrick Corbin – The Marlins are another decent stack as they have some nice options who smack southpaws. Ozuna has been on fire against lefties this year with a .474 wOBA and 193 wRC+.
- Welington Catillo vs. Justin Nicolino – I love Beef Welington against lefties – he is killing them this year with a .512 wOBA and 214 wRC+.
Any more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @AssemblyNeil
Go to Fantasy Rundown for additional DFS picks from some of the top sites on the web.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017