Neil previews today’s game action and shares his top Draft Kings plays for September 16th.
Today we have 15 games on the MLB schedule kicking off at 7:05 p.m. As always, make sure to check your lineup prior to game time for any last-minute scratches, and be sure to check the weather forecast for any potential cancellations.
It is the intersection of my 3 favorite DFS games, baseball, golf and football and I have to remind myself to stay disciplined with my bankroll. I had a good opening week in football and have been steady in baseball all year, but I have to make sure that I don’t give back some of my gains in a bad week or two. As for today, I am feeling pretty good about some players. Let’s get to it:
Studs: Jake Arrieta, Chicago Cubs ($14,000), Dallas Keuchel, Houston Astros ($11,600)
- How good is this guy? On top of being lights out all year, he has been particularly tough against the Pirates in his career going 5-1 with a 2.05 ERA and a 0.9332 WHIP.
- Keuchel has a 1.23 ERA with a WHIP of 0.818 and over a K per inning in 3 starts against the Rangers this year. Awesome against everyone – even better against the Rangers.
Bang for Your Buck: Jaime Garcia, St. Louis Cardinals ($9,100), Hisashi Iwakuma, Seattle Mariners ($8,800)
- Garcia has a sparkling 2.33 ERA on the year; 0.64 ERA in 2 starts against the Brewers on the season.
- Iwakuma has been effective against the Angels this year with a 2.57 ERA and 1.00 WHIP over 2 starts.
Hail Mary: Robbie Ray, Arizona Diamondbacks ($7,000), Jake Peavy, San Francisco Giants ($6,900)
- Ray has a solid 1.114 WHIP and 9.3 K/9 against the Padres.
- Peavy has a good chance for a win facing off against Michael Lorenzen. Holds the Reds to a .225/.270/.337 line.
Studs: Travis d’Arnaud, New York Mets ($5,000)
Adam Conley struggles away from home with a 6.62 ERA and .384 wOBA. d’Arnaud feasts on lefties with a .424/.486/.879 slash line.
Bang for your buck: Yan Gomes, Cleveland Indians ($3,100)
Gomes is 5/13 in his career with 2 extra-base hits and a homer against Danny Duffy.
Hail Mary: Carlos Ruiz, Philadelphia Phillies ($2,500)
Little known fact – Ruiz mashes lefties; .398 wOBA and 154 wRC+ against southpaws this year. He faces off against Gio Gonzalez today.
Studs: Brandon Belt, San Francisco Giants ($4,300)
Michael Lorenzen gives up a .335/.441/.596 line to lefties with a .439 wOBA. Belt has a .365 wOBA and 139 wRC+ against righties,
Bang for your buck: Cris Carter, Houston Astros ($3,500)
Carter is 6/13 with 2 homers and 2 walks in his career against Martin Perez of the Rangers.
Hail Mary: Jesus Montero, Seattle Mariners, ($2,000)
Montero absolutely loves facing Jered Weaver. He is 5/10 with a whopping 4 homers against the Angels’ righty.
Studs: Jose Altuve, Houston Astros ($5,300)
Altuve has a .379 batting average and a .409 wOBA against lefties on the year. In his career against Martin Perez he is 5/12 with 3 extra-base hits.
Bang for your buck: Anthony Rendon, Washington Nationals ($4,000)
Adam Morgan allows a .506 slugging percentage to righties. Rendon has a .356 wOBA and 125 wRC+ versus lefties.
Hail Mary: Kolten Wong, St. Louis Cardinals ($3,600)
Wily Peralta allows lefties to hit him at a .296/.343/.520 clip. Wong has a .342 wOBA and 117 wRC+ against righties.
Studs: Wilmer Flores, New York Mets ($3,600)
Flores could have a field day with Adam Conley. .412 wOBA and 168 wRC+ versus lefties.
Bang for your buck: Ian Desmond, Washington Nationals ($3,400)
Has been pretty good against lefties (.339 wOBA) and even better in the 2nd half (.353 wOBA and 123 wRC+).
Hail Mary: Starlin Castro, Chicago Cubs ($2,800)
A solid 16/34 in his career against AJ Burnett.
Studs: Matt Carpenter, St. Louis Cardinals ($4,300)
Faces Peralta who struggles against lefties. .374 wOBA against right-handers on the year.
Bank for your buck: Travis Shaw, Boston Red Sox ($3,400)
Lefties have a great .304/.368/.500 line against Mike Wright. Shaw has a .377 wOBA and 137 wRC+ in the 2nd half.
Hail Mary: Freddy Galvis, Philadelphia Phillies ($3,-00)
7/20 with 3 extra-base hits in his career against Gio Gonzalez.
Studs: Yoenis Cespedes, New York Mets ($5,500), George Springer, Houston Astros ($4,500), Jayson Werth, Washington Nationals ($4,300)
- Cespedes is the hottest player in baseball as his 17 homers with the Mets will attest. Excellent match-up against Conley.
- Springer is a top player against southpaws with a .387 wOBA and 149 wRC+. He faces lefty Martin Perez tonight.
- Werth has really come on in September with a .388 wOBA and 147 wRC+. Good match-up against Morgan.
Bang for your buck: Jason Heyward, St. Louis Cardinals ($3,500), Jacoby Ellsbury, New York Yankees ($3,400), Alejandro De Aza, San Francisco Giants ($3,300)
- Peralta struggles against lefties and Heyward has a .301/.355/.471 versus righties.
- Ellsbury has been ice-cold going 1 for his last 25, but Chris Archer may cure what ails him as Ellsbury is 14/21 with 4 walks in his career against the Rays’ righty.
- Lorenzen can’t get lefties out and De Aza has a .335 wOBA against righties.
Hail Mary: Juan Lagares, New York Mets ($2,900), Ryan Raburn, Cleveland Indians ($2,400), Darin Ruf, Philadelphia Phillies ($2,300)
- Lagares has a .348 wOBA and 124 wRC+ versus lefties.
- Raburn has a .317/.396/.583 line versus lefties and gets to face off against Danny Duffy (.344 wOBA allowed to righties).
- Ruf is 7/20 with 2 homers and 5 BB versus Gio. .369/.427/.595 on the year versus southpaws.
For my complete lineup, follow me on twitter @nschnurbach
Need more DFS picks, Waiver wire suggestions, prospect news and general fantasy baseball goodness, head on over to Fantasy Rundown.
Latest posts by Neil (see all)
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – Wyndham Championship - August 16, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – PGA Championship - August 9, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – RBC Canadian Open - July 26, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – The Open Championship - July 19, 2017
- Daily Fantasy Golf Preview – John Deere Classic - July 12, 2017